Transferring an out of state title

Here’s what you need to know! Please note that this page is only intended to offer basic guidelines. There are multiple rules and factors that go into title transactions, and there is no way to account for every situation in one article.

For information about buying an out of state vehicle, please visit our Buying a Car page! Otherwise, if you own the vehicle, please continue reading below.

Are there multiple owners on the title?

Good news! Barring extenuating circumstances, only one owner needs to present at the time of the transfer.

Are you still making payments on the vehicle?

In order to transfer your registration into Arizona, we would need to see your registration from the previous state. Please note that emissions requirements would most likely apply.

Is the vehicle paid off?

To title and register your out-of-state vehicle, you must have the following items:

  • Your ID.

  • The Title. 

  • A lien clearance, if applicable.

  • Emissions – visit our emissions page for more information about exemptions.

Is the vehicle leased?

Please bring:

  • A Power of Attorney from the lessor, with lessor authorization to transfer the title and/or registration. (This can be an original document or a certified copy.)

  • The out of state vehicle registration, and/or Title.

Does the vehicle need emissions?

Please visit this page for more information.

To learn more about vehicle registration in Arizona, please visit our AZ Registration Page!